The Border Roads Development Board was set up in March, 1960, to coordinate the development of road communications in the Border Areas of the country, as inadequate communication facilities were seriously hampering defence preparedness and economic development of these border areas. The Board has financial and other powers of a Department of Government and functions under the overall directions and control of Chairman of BRDB . All sanctions of the Board are processed by the secretariat of the Board which has been given ex-officio secretariat status in the Ministry of shipping, Road Transport & Highways that provides funds.BRDB has the status of a Government Department under the administrative control of Ministry of Defence. It is headed by Raksha Rajya Mantri and has representatives from various Ministries. The Board has a Secretariat headed by a Joint Secretary level officer designated as Secretary, BRDB. Dr Sanjeev Ranjan, IAS is the present Secretary of the BRDB Secretariat, who reports to Additional Secretary in Ministry of Defence. However, the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways provides budgetary support for administrative expenses and other work charged establishment of the BRDB. The MoRT&H has no other role in so far as affair of BRDB are concerned except that staff in BRDB Sectt of the level of US and below is posted.
1. Pt Jawahar Lal Nehru was the first Chairman of BRDB and Defence Minister was the Deputy Chairman of the Board at that time.
2. At present Shri Jitendra Singh, Minister of State for Defence is the Chairman of the Board.
3. Minister of Road, Transport & Highways, Cabinet Secretary, Chief of Army Staff, Chief of Air Staff, Defence Secretary, Home Secretary, Secretary, Deptt of Road Transport & Highways, Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs, financial Adviser, Defence Services, DGBR are other prominenet members of the Board. Secretary, BRDB is the Member Secretary of the Border Roads Development Board.
4. Dr Sanjeev Ranjan is the Present Secretary, BRDB, at Room No.418, 'B' Wing Sena Bhawan, New Delhi.
5. There are two post of Directors which are presentlly vacant. Shri Arvind Kumar is Deputy Secretary and Shri Manmohan Pipil and Shri Ram Pal are Under Secretaries. Also there are four Section Officers post in the Secretariate.
Functions of BRDB
1. To lay down policy, performance and priorities for development of road communication in Border Areas.
2. Approves the annual works and procurement plan of BRO.
3. Arrange necessary funds for execution of works in consultation with Ministry of Defence (Finance).
4. To keep a watch on progress of work and for review progress of work.
5. Approve establishment of BRO.
1. BRDB budget is a non plan budget and finalized in consultation with Financial Advisor (Defence Services) and incorporated by Ministry of Finance in the non plan budget of Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways.
2. A Budget of Rs 3300 Crore has been approved by Ministry of Finance for 2012-13 for execution of works by BRO.
3. In addition approx Rs 1800 Crore has been alloted by different agencies for execution of works as Agency Works.
Execution of work
1. Works are executed by BRO which is a self-sustained agency with its own manpower and equipments, arrangement for maintenance of the construction equipment, medical, postal, supply and communication cover for the personnel.
2. Works are carried out departmentally by BRO under Director General Border Roads who is Technical Advisor to BRDB.
3. There are 18 Projects in BRO manned by Army and GREF officials.
4. BRO has been authorised to outsource the works in all projects for better efficiency.